Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The National Anthem and Student Names

I had read about this but never seen it. I went to the market on Saturday morning and heard music which was as little unusual. We often hear the muslim "call to prayer" but this was different. Then I kind of recognized it from somewhere, then I noticed that nobody was moving and THEN I realized that it was the national anthem that is played weekly in our assemblies and when played in public you are expected to stop what ever you are doing. So, I did. Everyone, looked like they had frozen mid-step, except one guy who pedalled straight down the middle...and a Thai man at that.

On a cultural note, the kids here all have names that are really long so they get nicknames. Some are quite interesting so I figured I'd give you a few examples from my class.

Prim, Plankton, Air, Poon, Boon, Pao Pao, Play Play, Pou Pee, Jumbo (brother is Elephant), Mint, Atom, Radar, Neck, Milk, Ohm, Internet, Last...anything goes.

I went on a solo mission after school to find a physio (fail) and the link to a nice bike ride that we found on the weekend (sort of successful).

It required a shortcut of riding down the main road in the opposite direction of traffic. I followed these two who were selling lotto tickets and figured the might deter the cars. It's actually easier than it looks.



I didn't find what I was looking for but I did find goats in a gravel pit.



And what I least expected.....hydroponics!



...and a Santa.....the first one we've seen. 




I made it back in time for pizza and before it got dark. I am on the overpass which I have to haul my bike over. I guess it makes up for having no hills to ride.




2 comments:

  1. My favourite names are milk and neck!...Or maybe Ohm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they great? It's talking about sun beams with a Beam in your class....lots of science names.

    ReplyDelete