Sunday, November 17, 2013

Getting around in Bangkok

We continually adjust to travel in Bangkok as our adventure for a scooter has not been a success to date. We are still comfortable on our bicycles, however the frequency of flat tires is beginning to be annoying. I guess cheap rubber is part of the experience here.

Travel to and from schools is my biggest concern without my own set of wheels to rely on.
The scooter taxis are getting to know me and now come to pick me up in the Villa as I am walking to the street. They give me a ride to the Pak Soi, which is where our street meets the bigger highway and often charge me only the local rate. There I grab a taxi or two! If I get in a taxi and give the driver directions in Thai and they just stare.. I get out, they don't know where I need to go. I may try 2 -3 taxis before I get a knowledgeable driver. I usually look for the older drivers as they are likely to have been around. In most cases my GPS enabled phone, will lead us to the correct destination (again this morning!!)  with my directions, since close is not good enough! I know enough Thai now for turn left, turn right, straight and stop.


I forgot this picture in my last post.. One day I walk across the entrance to the hotel in Penang and there is nothing, at noon there was a guy drawing in chalk and then late in the day this design appeared. I had to look closely to see that is was made entirely of different colored rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment