Sunday, September 29, 2013

If There's a Squid on the Package, it's Probably Not Banana

While waiting for the bus last weekend on the way back form Ko Samet, my friend, Jenne and I decided to amuse ourselves in the market. It was quite fascinating because there were about 50 stalls, but only three different categories of products; candy, t-shirts and dried (fish) produce. Each stall had exactly the same packaging and prices which seemed like overkill. Anyway, we were looking at dried products and couldn't figure out if one of them was dried banana or dried fish. The next container had the same dried product in syrup so I decided it was banana and accepted the offer to try some. So....definitely not banana....and definitely dried fish soaked in syrup. This lead to Jenne laughing and telling me that indeed...."If there is a squid on the package then it's probably not banana". I'll have to pay closer attention next time.

I was at a writing workshop all weekend which was actually really good...thought I'd share the plasticine robots we made.  I don't think I'll ever make an art teacher. 



While there I took a picture from the 4th floor of the school showing Bangkok in the distance. It's rainy season for another month-hence the clouds.



I was on a mission to find molasses, ground cloves and powdered ginger so that I can make ginger cookies.....have my priorities straight. So, we took a bus on Saturday up to The Villa which carries a fair bit of Western groceries due to the large number of Expats who live nearby. It was our first time on a non-air con bus and usually you have to tell the conductor where you are going and they charge you accordingly. The non-AC busses have 1 fare which is 7 Baht or 25 cents. It's not fancy but it does the trick. The lady in blue collects the money from new passengers and I have no idea how they keep track. We didn't miss our stop since we are starting to recognize landmarks. The driver slows down and barely stops so it's a quick exit. I have noticed, though that they give farangs (foreigners) more time.


Inside the bus




This gave us a good laugh. Real, Canadian maple syrup imported from the UK. Huh?




We took a walk on the klong near our place which we had not been on yet. It's a 2 min walk so will be good for walking/running. The houses in the background are part of our townhouses. 



Say "hello" to Vince.



Somebody's "front door"




More klong with "motocy" on far left



Duck, duck goose?



Perfect Place houses....a real juxtaposition.



Say "bye" to Vince.



My commute this morning involved me bunching my skirt up around my waist and riding through the deepest water yet. I actually went home to get flip flops which I almost lost in the water.



We are off to Pattya this weekend to see a student from LCC who is there on a 6 week exchange and this is her last weekend. It's a 2-hr bus ride South and I hear the busses are fantastic. It's a nice way to see the country side.


2 comments:

  1. I remember those weird markets at the Ko Samet ferries!
    Also, shockingly that maple syrup doesn't seem much more expensive than at the grocery stores here!

    ReplyDelete