Sunday, September 28, 2014

Hua Hin Golf Weekend.

The thing about living here is that no-one our fellow teachers have very few commitments to anything but work, travelling and finding an adventure. We have one long weekend each month and almost everybody goes somewhere. The trouble is that you have to keep track of all the travel arrangements.....tough problem, I know.

So our last trip was to Hua Hin which is a coastal city about 200 km south of Bangkok. Essentially a 2.5 hr super comfortable bus ride. It was a golf weekend for Vince and I tagged along because I couldn't think of a reason not too. Didn't try too hard either.

Hotel are often jammed in the smallest places and this is our humble abode for a couple of days.


We got there at night and I was so thrilled to wake up and see hills.....actual hills!!!! 


Rooftop pool which no-one used but us.

One of the many funny mistranslations.

One of the best ways for me to discover the area close by is to go for a run....so i did and I headed straight for the hills. That wall actually goes around a golf course and the last thing expected to see was monkeys....tons of them.

Some other pics of my run...

It started out kinda like this.

These flowers are all over and come in so many shades.

This is the first time that I felt that I was actually in the country side which actually posed another problem. Since 7-11s and corner stores are absolutely everywhere you rely on them for water. We always carry a small bottle since it is always 30 deg C or higher but it heats up pretty quick and always need replenishing. So, it's the first time that I have actually ever been worried....and hotter than anything. I started at 6:30 but by 8 am the sun was pretty much beating down on me. In the back of my mind I knew that anyone with a truck or scooter would get me back to the main drag which at this point was fairly far away. 


My running picture.

The town is a parallel system of beach-hotels-road-train tracks-hills. Once I crossed the tracks I knew I was almost there....long morning.


Hua Hin train station


Working with nature-beautiful seating area.

The waiting room for the Royal Family.


 Vince had a full day of playing so I entertained myself in the afternoon with a walk down the beach to  Khao Takiab which is a temple near the beach on Monkey Mountain.

Monkey Mountain in the distance.

Saw many of these jellyfish which explains the lack of people swimming.

Feels barely closer and my plan is foiled by the Hyatt Regency because my beach ran out....must have been high tide. 

No problem I thought, I'll just walk through the property, back to the road and find a way back down to the beach. Well, it's that kind of thinking that got me lost on their property and likely on every security camera. Nice place by the way.


Woohoo.... made it to the temple.

Dog being a monkey or monkey being a dog?

Tough life!

Fixing buddha.





 t was worth it. the view from the temple: back over the beach and Hua Hin.


 There are not many places where you will see monkeys, a monkey statue, a statue of a mink, a real monk and two dinosaurs in the same place. 

Seriously, way too many monkeys.

Felt Steven King ish.....the writer not the therapist.

 Fishing village on the way to the temple.


On my run I saw this hemet shop and Vince wanted a slightly smaller one so we came back in the afternoon.


Success.  

We walked down to the water. Lots of restaurants hang over the water precariously perched on wooden stilts.


Had to stop for happy hour.




No comments:

Post a Comment