Sunday, September 14, 2014

Road Race and Bridge on The River Kwai

Vince is back from Australia tomorrow which might explain the lack of recent pics of him. This weekend myself and 7 friends went to Kanchanaburi, home of the famous Bridge on The River Kwai, for an organized running race of 10.5 km or 21.1 km.  It is a 3-5 hour drive depending on traffic and we were lucky to have a fabulous driver for 2 days.

The race was 60 km outside of town so we were limited on places we could stay. It's always and adventure and a shot in the dark here but this is the first time we have ended up feeling like we were deep in the jungle. To top it off, we arrived when it was pouring and dampness was an understatement. Alfred Hitcock came to mind. Beautiful place really and I think people go for retreats.

 

 View from my balcony

 Rustic room.....scared the heck out a gecko who I think hadn't seen visitors for a while. I screamed and I think he did too in his own little way. 


 It's the first time I've had a padlock for the door.

The doors. Happy that Colby was next door to guard me from the creepy crawlies.


Like this crab.....


 It's like it's rejoining nature.


Hotel



  


Pre-race photo at 5:45 am. Representing UK, France, USA and Canada.

10 km finishers.

 21 km finishers. 


The whole gang together.


On the way out we stopped at the Bridge on The River Kwai. As bad as I used to be at history, I am finding this to be very interesting.


Cheesy tourist train that travels over the bridge.



View of The Floating Restaurant from the bridge-yummy lunch.




A totally random picture of scooters parked outside the 7-11 with the funny puppy. Classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment