Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Garbage Dump Fire Brings Toxic Air, Leaving out the u.

Wow, I really miss the clean fresh Canadian air right now. This garbage dump is burning out of control and is causing toxic fumes in our neighbourhood. It looks like a bit of a haze but feels toxic. We spend limited time outside, keep the kids in the classrooms and masks are readily available. 


Click here to read more about it.

On a plus side, it inspired some art work in the middle of my math board. Many kids wearing masks today which usually only happens when someone is sick. I think it's Japanese written on top. I am often amazed by the way some of them draw.



I have to spell the American way now...leaving out the u's. 





2 comments:

  1. Oh dear - it reminds me very much of Haiti (Port-au-Prince). There's a huge garbage dump not far from the church where we stay and it's always smoldering. The first year I was there, it was really bad - we had to cover our noses as we drove past it every day to work and back. The dump was a big smaller the next couple of years, but there was always smoke since it's always burning. And people live right next to it and have to breathe that all the time! I can't imagine. No wonder they're often sick... :( Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I cannot even imagine what we have been breathing in. Good to hear it's smaller and maybe they found a better way to dispose.

    ReplyDelete