Saturday, January 11, 2014

Back to Thailand

It was really strange leaving Australia and heading back to Thailand since it felt like it should be Canada. All the things associated with hot weather and winter months still confuse me and I really do miss skiing but it will be there when we get back.

We had a great active holiday with Alex and Cathy and I was lucky enough to go cycling 5-6 times which of course reminded me how much I love it, and also how much I love rolling hills. There are some cyclists here but I am skeptical about how great the riding can be with so many people and such busy roads. The townships have a way of spoiling me.

So, the first weekend back, I headed out to where "they" say to go and after 20 min on our main road I end up at this intersection. I had to laugh because I could not see a way to cross and just before I made a break for it , I looked up and saw the pedestrian walk. My cycling excursions have never, ever included hauling my bike up and down stairs but I made an exception and congratulated myself on wearing running shoes instead of cycling shoes.



So, I did okay but I am sad to say that you do feel the pollution and this is the land of dead end streets. I pedalled for 15 min on one road then suddenly, that's it...end of road. However, I will try this in the morning with less cars and people.

I am convinced that there are more of these...roads without people. 



I come across these cranes regularly on runs. This one didn't really want to move until I told him that "No, I am not here to steal that disgusting giant snail that you are trying to crack open."



Sunday afternoon....ran in the morning, went to the market, had a 2 hour massage...Vince went to play golf......so I headed to the pool. I always swim in our 25 m pool since it is free more often but I figured on the weekend I would try the 50 m. I hoped I might get a lane to myself......hahahaha.....I got the whole pool! Sometimes the lack of (?) security in this country works in my favour. Where else could you leave a pool open with no-one around and allow (encourage even) people to swim.



 So, now for a laugh. I thought how nice it would be to have chilli one night....comfort foods are always good regardless of the heat. For the record, if you are not sure if something is really "chilli powder" as we know it, or ground chillies, do NOT open it and sniff it. I think I damaged part of my brain in doing so. Needless to say...100% chillies. On the up side, I learned what is actually in chilli powder and the chilli smells delish...made of ground pork of course.



2 comments:

  1. I am all caught up on your posts since the holidays (remember I was away too). You guys make me laugh! As for the skiing, well you picked a really good winter to miss. Between the rain and ice storms I have not even thought about taking my skis or snowshoes out yet. As for Bondi, Syd and I saw a live rescue occur right in front of us at that beach. The lifeguard was so incredible, in one swoop saved a young boy from the waves. What a difficult job they have... keep up the posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, a real rescue. Alex was saying that they save people daily. I still have the snow conditions for Orford coming to my email and yes, looks like a rough year. It doesn't look like they have all trails open yet either.

      Delete