Sunday, May 25, 2014

Winding Down for The Summer.

It was a sad day last week....my trusty bike got stolen from the main road or the "pac soi". I had left it there (locked) and jumped on the bus to go to a market a few streets away. So sad but they left my lock and I have to say it was a nice clean cut. So, I guess I will leave it at the regular street where there is so much chaos that nothing ever gets stolen.


I picked this one up a week later after borrowing Vince's for a week. Its blends in better than my yellow one did...I hope. I don't know what is with Vince's halo. Just so you know, that seat was a about 50 deg C when I jumped on it after this photo.



 They sell T-shirts like this. I am not that mean but it was funny.



A typical parking lot for a get together. 


 I have decided to try and at least recognize some words. At the rate I am going I might be eating curry for a while. I know other dishes but reading is a whole different story. We go by this ladies little stall all the time and she just opened up a little restaurant behind her. Like most, it's really the front end of her house.


This is it from inside and she does all of her cooking at the little stall. 



See the big jar of liquid on the counter?  It's Thai whisky and we are about to get our first taste.


It was good but it packed a punch so we were happy we shared one. We heard later that we we were supposed to put the whisky in the water......and I thought she was just giving me a drink. 


New regulations at our school require that the gate (on the left) to the pool is locked after 5 pm so we don't have any accidents. This means that we need to hop the railing on the stairs to swim now. Actually, it's even funnier. More often than not, we are locked in because we only start swimming after the practices are over at 4:45. The 25 m pool is wide open so we cannot really figure out the logic. Just go with the flow.


Our running group getting ready to leave. We are female heavy but have plans for next year.



Last weekend I went for an adventure with my neighbour, April plus two friends and their girls. They are probably the most adventurous couple I have met and jumped at the chance to go on another klong ride....kids and all at 6 am on a Saturday morning. We met with man eating ants (seemed like it anyway), foot-wide board crossings, downed trees and just plain old other klong stuff. The kids were amazing!

A group effort to get around the tree.



The klong gang. Evie (Evelyne) on the back finally smiled at me that day. She's got a great stare down and is cute as ever. Paul and Nicole have lived in Alaska for years so this is likely pretty calm. 



This is what my classroom looks like while I try to figure out labs before the kids do them. 


My friend Cookie (I forgot her real name) on teh sway bridge as I like to call it. She has a cool story. In short a retired teacher who came to stay with her daughter here for a while. The school fired a teacher at the beginning of the year and Cookie happened to be highly qualified and like that she was out of retirement. We were on a klong walk on Sunday to the market which is a 7.5 km walk if you take the long way which we did. That bridge was pretty rickity.


It is very exciting even though you can't tell: they are rebuilding the klong on the other side which is great for our running gang. It is also where I fell last year.



From what I understand, these plants were given to the king and escaped the palace gardens. They now choke up the klong. It wasn't like this when we cam in July so we'll see what it looks like when we get back.




A minute before this picture, that big white bull was galloping (or whatever bulls do) towards us beside the walkway. Gulp.....



 Sammakorn Market which is where Cookie and I were walking to. It's a nice smallish weekend market.

Vicne in the mall....went to a movie (Xmen) last night. Seats are assigned and you can actually get a couch for two.


 Lunch on our way to Tesco which is a big British chain of grocery stores here and we needed a few Western things. We have decided that in our last 2 weeks we will try different places so ended up here. Big life goals, huh? Those people statues behind me are everywhere.


This is why it takes us so long to get anything done.....stopped by the pier.


Hmm, which should I get? A taste of things for sale at the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment