Thursday, November 26, 2015

Vertical Marathon, Fish, Golden Mount and a Bike Ride

Each year RIS (my school) has a strong showing of teachers and students who run/fast walk/walk up 62 floors of the Banyan Tree Hotel. It's tiring but it also rewards with a fantastic view. I just realized thet the 4 of us on the left are Canadian.

These are a couple of fish vendors at our local market and although we eat mostly chicken and pork we are staring to venture out a bit. You hear so many things about how the prawns and fish are grown that it is easy to hesitate.
We found salmon this day though...we think.

Our taxi driver friend, Soon, tells me that this is delicious. It had a funny name which I forgot but I take his word for it. The middle ones...not the catfish.

Cutting our salmon. Scales flying everywhere.


My friend, Jenn and I went on an adventure one Saturday via Khlong boat to see The Golden Mount. Sometimes all you need is a destination to make a day.

 The trip was remarkably easy and the busses are making life easier by adding a basic map so you can get to the subway or train.


Riding the khlong boat.

The khlong...very last stop you can take.

We made it to the Mount which turned out to be fairly quiet and had a really nice view of the city.

The walk up.


The view: Didn't realize how wide the city was. No wonder I never really know where I am.



Bells, we rang them because it seemed like the thing to do.

Jenn, who is better at geography than me realized that we were close to Khaosan Road which is backpacker central and great for people watching. So we took a 15 min walk over there.


The Golden Mount from a distance

Beautiful temple and gardens at Wat Ratchanatdaram, which is also a school.

Democracy Monument. We saw a lot in 1 km.

Bike path = false sense of security.

Ahh, the destination....Khaosan Road.




This made us laugh.

One of my favourite places to be is on the khlong and not because it is clean or picturesque  but because it's usually quiet and there is always something interesting to see. This day, Darcy and I were trying to get to a nearby town. Success!



I'm not a fan of the pipe but it was safe enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment