Saturday, February 22, 2014

Petrie Dish and Market

I was out running a couple of weeks ago on the klong and somewhere in between staring at the feet in front of me and wondering what time I should get up the next day, I lost my focus and fell onto the grubby, eroded cement. The good news is that I didn't hit my face, knock the two friends in front of me into the water, nor did I end up in the water myself. I got away pretty well with only a couple of cuts on my arm and hand.


The interesting things about wounds here is that you are advised to cover them up as much as possible since the humidity and dirt make them prone to infection-hence the petrie dish. It takes much long to heal here but all is good now.

I went to the Bangkok Farmer's  Market with a friend yesterday which was a lot of fun but also very interesting. The whole country is basically a farmer's market so I was curious to see what this was all about since it only happens once a month.

Well, now I get it. It's a European/N. American Farmer's Market during which your sense of smell go into overdrive as the scent of baking bread, croissants and other delicious edibles tease your nose. olives, cheese, british pork pies, meringues......all the thing that we never see! There were also some handicrafts etc which were quite nice. It's not too big so easy to do the rounds and then go back and buy what you want.


Mmmmmmm.....bread!


This sign was near by....thought it was funny.


A forgotten picture from Hanoi....typical on the street barber.



Brand new airport in Hanoi....recharging the cleaner in the washroom. I guess they didn't think of everything.



Airport wing for the local airline. No heat so we went up a level hoping that heat rose......science defied us. Still frozen.



 My basket doubles as a breakfast plate as I head off Sunday morning for a walk on the klong with some friends. Somehow, I have become a connoisseur of the filthy waterways.


I am now coaching swimming and I am so excited about it. It was the part of the job here that was missing for me so i am happy to be back into it. Oh yeah, I have never coached swimming before so I have a lot to learn but swimming with the YMCA Master's in Montreal has help me a lot with technique and being on the learning side of things. This is Angela (a fellow Canadian), who is the main coach until April. I will be her assistant until then and after that I take over. It's a great way to ease my way in. Those are some of the kids so you get an idea of the age range (around grades 3-5). It's a bit like herding chickens but it will be good. 

We are on the same campus as The Swiss School so we get some kids from there also. 



No comments:

Post a Comment